Apollo Bay, Victoria -
Otway Forum Meeting -
8 January 2012
Mayor Stephen Hart and Councillor Stuart Hart in attendance
At Dec. COS council meeting, council officers tabled a report and recommendations on the AB Aquatic Centre Feasibility Study.
Harbour precinct capital cost $8 million
Gambier St. reserve $7 million
AB P12 College $4million
Each site would require an annual operational subsidy of up to $400,000
1. Conflicts with Vic. Coastal Strategy (a swimming pool is a non coastal related activity???)
2. Environmental Impact. (Primary sand dune, flora and fauna, high exposure to elements and sea level rise concerns)
3. Landscape and visual impact.
4. Aboriginal cultural heritage sites could be destroyed.
5. Conflicts with (highly unpopular) harbour precinct resort plan. (Not enough space for public pool and private resort).
6. Access and parking issues.
7. Community support has been indicated for a public indoor pool but “it is unlikely to attract a high number of tourists on the GOR, as research indicates that they are in the main seeking a natural experience”.
8. Tourism Victoria bureaucrats advised that a pool and other health and well being services would only attract more tourists if combined with private luxury style accommodation. Their support for a public pool would not be forth coming.
9. Costs quoted in the feasibility study were “likely to be higher”.
10. Financial viability.
11. Rezoning – problems, costs and timelines
|Council Report Feb 2012|
|Sketches and plans|
|Harbour background 1|